The Lagos Lawn tennis Club (LLTC) was established in 1895 by Lord Lugard, so the club existed before the Amalgamation of the Northern and Southern Protectorate of Nigeria in 1914.
The club was an all white club located in the heart of Lagos. This probably explained the formation of the Yoruba Club not too far from the LLTC. However, due to the activities of the nationalists such as Nnadi Azikiwe and Herbert Macaulay amongst others, the club was eventually opened to all. The caliber of people associated with the club over the years represent the high and mighty in the community.
The 70’s and 80’s was the golden era of the club as it hosted big names in Tennis like Authur Ashe, Jimmy Connors, Jhn Mcenroe and of lately the Serena sisters.
BELOW ARE THE 1ST 7 PRESIDENTS OF THE LAGOS LAWN TENNIS CLUB WITH DATES.
1914-1919: SIR FREDRICK LUGARD
1920-1930: SIR HUGH CLIFFORD
1931-1935: SIR DONALD CAMERON
1935-1943: SIR BERNARD BOURDILLON
1946-1950: SIR ARTHUR RICHARD
1951-1954 SIR JOHN McPHERSON
1954-1957: SIR JAMES ROBERTSON
Sourced from Club Yearly magazine.