A major institution of the mission, the Leprosarium at Virgwi, near Garkida, was first called a “leper colony.” It was founded in 1929 by American Brethren physician R.L. Robertson, in cooperation with American Leprosy Missions. Dr. Robertson began work at Virgwi on Sept. 7, 1929, but died just two years later of yellow fever in Lagos, in 1931.
However, the work continued and the institution grew and gained international recognition for its work in the treatment of leprosy, or Hansen’s Disease.
It was transferred to the government and was named Virgwi Adamawa Provincial Leprosarium. The first patient to be admitted there was Lalakanda Wula Musa from the Kanakuru people, the second was Nzika Nkirta of the Bura people.
Courtesy of the Brethren Historical Library and Archives.